Thursday, March 14, 2013

Professionalism...a lost art.

Though I was not born in the original "Good Old Days," I am a product of the baby boomers who were.  I can't remember a time when my parents were NOT professional.  My mother stayed at home and didn't obtain employment until my high school days, but she was always polite and courteous on her phone conversations, even to the phone company.  Mom would answer the phone and you thought you were talking to a attorney's or a Forbes' top ten business office.

I remember kids at school would say to me the next day after calling the house, "That's your mom?"  I and my siblings never thought much of it.  Handle all situations in a pleasant manner, because you gain more from honey than vinegar.  Dad was the same way, nice deep, rich voice that always indicated he meant business.  Dad was in the Navy for many, many years, then after retiring earned his BS degree and worked for Hughes Aircraft.

So from these humble beginnings I learned to be respectful and speak in a manner that commanded respect.  Seems to be forgotten throughout time.  Just looking at the commercials, you don't have to see the entire show, you see people trying to talk over each other, shouting out ugly statements, and being disrespectful to not just others but themselves.

I don't understand the desire to present your "worse" self.  There is a tremendous statement to standing up for yourself and standing out for all the wrong reasons.  I feel weird if I don't say, "Please," "Thank-you," and "Yes and No ma'am/sir."

I recently put in a call to a national business inquiring about a book I wanted to purchase.  The salesperson didn't even realize she had picked up my call.  I heard the entire call prior to mine, good thing I wasn't a stalker.  Once she was done with that call she noticed my line, I guess, and began talking to me.  What happened to "Hello, How may I help you?"  I did tell her that somehow the lines were on together and she was apologetic.  I wasn't expecting that. 

Unfortunately that was the end of the professional part.  When she couldn't find the book I wanted she then began to talk to me like I was a homegirl or one of her circle of friends.  Even when I worked retail, I never talked personal topics to my customers.  Some things are meant for the lunchroom and not the sales floor.

I've carried these same principles into my nursing career.  We have all had experiences where either another student, a teacher or a patient challenged our resolve to remain professional.  I know sometimes health care facilities can be horrible when it comes to professionalism, especially when there are high levels of stress.

One of my husband's friends told us of a time when he called in to the medical office to verify his appointment and the response he got made us all drop our jaws.  She basically told him she was too busy and she didn't have time to look it up.  He should have written it down.  I still feel shock to this very day over that!

I've seen nurses sport the statement, "I'm here to save your a##, not kiss it."  A patient that isn't satisfied by anything can make a nurse feel that sentiment, but we must not yield to it.  Once we start to turn "reality tv" in our practice we loose more than just our standing with our patient.  Our patients are hurting and experiencing uncomfortable situations.  I am not making an excuse for bad behavior, but we must not allow ourselves to be tempted with the attitude, "I"m gonna show them."

One of my best experiences was when during my externship and I was assisting with the care of a LVN was in the hospital for treatment and the nurse I was working with let me push the medication.  I knew how long to push the medication and keeping my eye on my watch I administered the medication appropriately.  The LVN tried to bite my head off.  "I'm too slow, do I know what I am doing."  To this I maintained a pleasant facial expression, kept my body language neutral and said, "Almost done pushing the medication."  Once done I asked her was there anything else she needed, letting her other statements roll off me as if she hadn't said them.  To that she said, "No more students, I just can't handle it."  I said "Okay I'll tell the primary nurse your request."  I went on about my day, a little sad that I wouldn't be able to finish being that patient's nurse but satisfied that I had done the right thing.

The next day, the patient specifically asked for me.  My first thought was "oh no she telling me ahead of time to stay out of her room."  She actually apologized for her behavior the day before.  I was floored.  I had seen similar situations where the nurses and the patients were actually yelling and arguing with each other. (That was an interesting clinical rotation!)

Has our love for our technology caused us fail at communicating with each other?  Most people don't seem to know how to answer the phone.  Am I calling a business, a person or a house party?  I once complained on a survey I took about the servers at the drive-thru window talking about everything, and I do mean everything, while I was waiting for my food.  Some things just should not be transparent!

 I'd rather call you then send a text.  I still write letters and send cards.  Some things just mean more than an email.  Yes, I am busy and have a full plate but some things, like going the extra mile, mean so much.

So back to the topic of professionalism.  As I enter the jog chase, I strive to show my interest without over doing it.  I've given them my resume, business card and left a message.  A follow up email and maybe one more phone call and then I back off, a little.   Doing all the right things, but too much can be just as bad and chewing gum during a phone interview. (I would never but well, you know some people..I don't need to elaborate.)

While in school I tried to be an example of professionalism in and out of my scrubs.  Some things I do to help me stay professional, even during times of stress:

1)Breathe-  Taking a moment to breathe, relaxing your muscles all over your body to calm your body language.  If a patient believes you're declaring war, the situation now escalated to the danger zone.  Getting your emotions under control will help you come out ahead.

2)Think- The situation is not about me, its about the patient.  Give the patient permission to start over with you.  This will really help as you continue the nurse/patient relationship.

3)Smile- no not that maniacal one that you see in the movies.  Even if you are not feeling it, a smile can do so much for being so little. 

4)Take a break- If the situation is getting out of hand, get out of there.  Go get some water, call a co-worker to assist or sit in the lounge for a moment.  Taking time to remove yourself from the event so you can refocus can mean the difference of a long, challenging shift and a shift from hell.

5)Forget about it- You have got to let it go.  When you return to work the next day you can't have a grudge.  Going for walks or exercising after work are great ways of letting go.

I believe as nurses, being the front runners of patient centered care, continue to always put our best food forward we'll not only be know as the most trusted profession but the most professional. 

No comments:

Post a Comment