Monday, May 6, 2013

Countdown to Graduation!

Happy Nurses Week!
With 10 days until Black Baccalaureate and 11 days until Commencement I've been glad to keep busy with various projects.

For NGNA I'm part of the Chapter Resource Committee.  I'm checking with the chapters assigned to me and offering assistance as needed.  It is very interesting to see what's working for some chapters and what's not.  Some aren't functional yet, I hope to rectify that in my area.

For STTI, Gamma Gamma I've running for secretary-elect for the new fiscal year.  I'm the only one running for that position so as long as everyone votes, I do believe I'll be elected.  I plan to learn as much as I can from the current secretary so I can continue to help the organization move forward.

 For SDBNA, I've participated in our Annual Luncheon (April 13th) "You, Me & Us Working and Living in a Healthier Community." It was a lovely event and I was honored to have my poem "If My Stethoscope Could Talk," featured in the program.  This Saturday (May 11th) I'll be attending the "Empowering Minority Nurse Leaders, Breaking the Concrete Ceiling," presented by the San Diego National Association of Hispanic Nurses, Philippine Nurses Association of San Diego and the San Diego Black Nurses Association.

On the job front, I've had one really good interview and I've applied to another hospital where I know I would do very well.  I look forward to starting to work and stir up all the wonderful information/skills/talent I have in me and do my best. Maybe its going to happen after summer vacation so I can spend some more time with my hubby and kids.  Either way I know it on its way.

Currently I'm working on my speech I have to give on Thursday May 16 on the theme "Breaking the Chains, making the invisible, visible."  Its a challenge trying to get all my thoughts down to just 3-5 minutes.  Since I won't be speaking to a "nursing" audience I have to make sure not to be too technical when I am giving my examples.

Just when I'm ready for things to quiet down, they get busy. I don't mind, keeps me out of trouble.
Alright, cue Pomp and Circumstance please!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment