Monday, June 20, 2016

If My Stethoscope Could Talk By KL Ensor



If my stethoscope could talk what would it say about me today?
Would it say that I rushed through my assessment so I could scope out a place at the nurses’ station?
Would it say that I was thorough or going through the motions?
Did I just kill time until break? Lunch? End of my shift?
What would my stethoscope say?

If my stethoscope could talk how would my listening skills be evaluated?
Did I actually hear my patient?  When medications were refused or when the patient expressed they had enough, would I actually listen?
As my stethoscope moved across their body, did I notice a change that needed to be addressed in the plan of care or did I just do business as usual?
Was I listening to my patient and their family members’ concerns or did I just perform lip service as from a script.
What would my stethoscope say?

If my stethoscope could talk would it say that I had my eyes open as I took care of my patient?
Did I completely understand the physician’s orders?  When my patient addressed me did I provide eye contact or was I too busy looking at monitors and equipment?
Did I notice something and speak up as an advocate for my patient or did I leave it for the next shift to handle?
What would my stethoscope say?

If my stethoscope could talk would it say I half-heartedly gave education and explanations about medications?
Would what I speak actually come from a desire to be a help to my patient or just to look good as an authority figure?
Did I form my words to be culturally sensitive or did I disregard my patient’s views, beliefs and preferences?
When I spoke to colleagues or interacted with the multi-disciplinary staff was I a source of encouragement.
Did I include my unit assistants in the plan of care for the patient?  Did I recognize my charge nurse as a valuable resource?  Did I appreciate my unit clerk for their invaluable help?
What would my stethoscope say?

If my stethoscope could talk, would it say that I am an example of patient centered care?
Did my care come from my passion to be a nurse or am I just hanging around for a paycheck?
Did my body language speak I care about you or was I stand offish and couldn’t be bothered?
Was I first to the room when an IV or bed alarm sounded or did I say ‘that’s not my patient and turn a deaf ear and go about my day?
Did I make myself available to my colleagues, to my patient or was I nowhere to be found during busy periods?
Did I take a moment to step outside and let the sun touch my skin, reminding me of why I wanted to be a nurse in the first place?
What would my stethoscope say?

My stethoscope would say,
I bring my joy and positive spirit with me each time I step on the unit.
It would say I strive to listen with open ears and see with both eyes.
It would say I try to be an asset to my unit and an instrument of excellent care.
It would say I utilize evidence based practices when answering patient questions and use simple languages.
It would say I work daily to be an advocate, a hand to hold, and an empathetic ear.
My stethoscope would say I am a nurse and I put my heart into everything I do.
I wear my stethoscope with pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment